Students at universities/colleges endure varying degrees of anxiety due to things like life situations, new form of living, and experiences. Anxiety related to studies is a genuine thing. Every campus’s atmosphere has the potential to make students more anxious about their studies. Students, instructors, and top psychologist have acknowledged the prevalence of study anxiety.
Anxiety may be caused by many things for university/college going students. These include things like challenging study material, new roommates, identity dilemmas, culture shock, and interpersonal issues that heighten anxiety. There is a rise in anxiety disorders among students. However, continuing to feel anxious could hinder students’ academic performance. Researchers discovered a wide variety of anxiety-related challenges during the learning process, including test anxiety, anxiety in studying science and maths, language anxiety, social anxiety, family anxiety, and anxiety for future. Studies have shown that anxiety when studying has a negative impact and is a key predictor of academic achievement.
High levels of anxiousness also impair memory and focus, two skills necessary for academic achievement. Learning of any type is not enhanced by feeling uneasy and nervous in a classroom. While the physiological symptoms of anxiety include sweaty palms, a racing heartbeat, or an upset stomach, the psychological symptoms of anxiety in students include feeling anxious before a study class, having a panic attack, going numb during a test, having difficulty while doing assignments, or lack of interest in difficult subjects. A self-concept marked by subjective, consciously experienced tension sensations is treated by anxiety, a psychological and physiological reaction. Students who are anxious often experience cognitive deficits such as information misinterpretation or blocking of memory and recall.
Sources of Study Anxiety
In terms of the idea that a high amount of anxiety is associated with receiving poor academic results, the phrase “study anxiety” refers to an anxiety state that occurs during studying. In addition to raising students’ anxiety levels during the learning process, the causes can also lead to negative experiences that pupils will carry with them into future life events. Such fear can affect a student’s ability to do well on an exam or perform well in life.
- Exam Anxiety: Exam anxiety has been identified by researchers as a situation-specific feature that describes the anxiety and concern situations that are present during exams. Exam performance can be disrupted by excessive anxiety, which can also impede thinking, produce a bad frame of mind, and perhaps result in subpar exam results.
- Language Anxiety: This type of anxiety is felt in specific foreign language contexts. Anxiety connected to studying a foreign language is conceived as a unique complex of self-perceptions, beliefs, feelings, and behaviour. Personal and interpersonal factors, learner attitudes about language acquisition, instructor ideas regarding language anxiety, teacher-learner interactions, classroom practises, and language testing all contribute to language anxiety. According to a prior study, students with low anxiety levels do better in foreign language classes than do students with high anxiety levels. High anxiety students produced various kinds of grammatical mistakes, difficult presentations, or personal interactions in a foreign language than did those with low anxiety.
- Math Anxiety: Students who struggle with math should be particularly concerned since it is widely believed that those who experience high levels of anxiety may avoid math-related assignments. When faced with a math problem, mathematical anxiety is the inability of an intellectual individual to deal with quantification. According to a previous study, low math achievement was strongly associated with later high levels of anxiety, whereas previously high levels of math anxiety had no bearing on low arithmetic accomplishment. The primary uneasy feelings associated with mathematics are disinterest, anxiousness, and fear, with behavioural manifestations include tension, impatience, misery, helplessness, and mental confusion.
- Social Anxiety: The impact of social life, including poor hostel living conditions and challenging relationships with peers and roommates, is a significant factor in study anxiety. Both the cognitive and affective aspects of an individual’s behaviour will be severely impacted by social anxiety. The four conceptual methods for comprehending social anxiety are as follows. According to the first theory of social anxiety, a person with social anxiety lacks the abilities to deal with potentially dangerous circumstances. The second is the cognitive-self model, which holds that social anxiety is not caused by a lack of abilities but rather by a sense of inadequacy. According to the third approach, known as classical conditioning, social anxiety develops when a neutral input is linked to unpleasant social experiences. Finally, according to the personality trait model, social anxiety is a characteristic rather than a response. If social anxiety becomes overwhelming for someone it always better to talk to an online counsellor for immediate help.
- Family Anxiety: Students who suffer from anxiety disorders are more likely to have family factors like being an offspring of parents who suffer from anxiety disorders. When faced with the sudden possibility of being away from home, people with separation anxiety disorders have self-doubt and develop negative emotions. These situations include parent divorce, family issues, childhood trauma, and a lack of appreciation for children’ academic accomplishments.
There are several all-natural methods that can help relax the mind and ease tension. These methods may be effective for those who don’t want to take pharmaceuticals, are unable to take them, or are searching for coping skills to supplement their treatment and prescription regimen.
- Exercise and Yoga
- Eat a Well-Balanced Diet
- Limit Alcohol and Caffeine
- Increase your intake of water to 2.5liters – 3.5liters /day
- Get enough Sleep
- Slow and Deep Breathing
- Express Gratitude
You should seek professional assistance if you believe you or a loved one has an anxiety condition. There are numerous choices available, and with little online search, you ought to be able to locate the best match. TalktoAngel is one such top online counselling platform which can be of a great help. Health care professionals/psychologist/online counsellors/therapists may recommend various forms of therapy to manage anxiety symptoms depending on the severity levels. For people with a highly hectic schedule, transportation issues, or who reside in distant places, online counselling provides you the flexibility to message their online counsellor at any time or place is useful.